Saturday, June 15, 2013

Little Monkey Arrived Early! Meet Everett James Massey | Born May 8th, 2013

If you don't follow me on Facebook or Instagram you may not know that our little monkey arrived 11 weeks early.
 On Wednesday May 8th at 9:38 a.m., our precious baby boy was born at 29 weeks +2 days via emergency c-section. 
He weighed in at 2lbs, 4oz.
 photo IMG_9348blog_zpsb7409b57.jpg  
I had spent a week and a half in hospital before he was born because I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia (you can read up on that if you want to here). They were worried about my safety as well as little Everett's. We were hoping to make it to 32 weeks with him but my blood pressure spiked dangerously on the morning of May 8th. I had an hour and a half to process that I was not having the birth experience that I wanted and that my pregnancy was ending and that my baby was going to be born within minutes. It was really hard, and it was not what I wanted. I was anxious and scared and un prepared (I was also upset because they wouldn't let me shower first - weird when I think about it now). I quickly called Chris and texted my parents and sister. 

The doctor told me that because of Everett's gestational age, his lungs may not be properly developed and he probably would not cry & so for his safety there would be a lot of people in the room ready to take charge and help him out if need be. 

I was then wheeled in to a room that looked too cold and sterile and full of too many people. The epidural was shockingly painful and I was so scared I had a hard time breathing, thinking and talking. Then I was lying down, and Chris was in the room beside me and suddenly, I heard our baby crying. It was the most magical amazing moment. I remember the "oohs" and "ahhs" of the doctors and nurses and the rest of the team and feeling at peace and in love. 

While they were cleaning up, Chris went over to take pictures and I just lay there listening to everything around me. The surgeon and doctors talking about nothing in particular and the nurses and Chris admiring Everett. Everything was ok. 

They bundled him up before they took him to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and briefly showed him to me. The tiniest and sweetest baby. I am thankful that Chris had been there to photograph me seeing him for the first time. Suddenly I was a mom. :)

 photo IMG_9288_zps99df3b31.jpg

 photo IMG_9299_zpsf0c3a95c.jpg

 photo IMG_9313_zpse9f8c2ab.jpg

 photo IMG_9319_zpsde4d51a3.jpg

 photo IMG_9345_zpsc1612cd7.jpg

 photo IMG_9357_zpsf9fd6d44.jpg

 photo IMG_9362_zpsa033522b.jpg

 photo IMG_9381_zps5d2a4794.jpg

 photo IMG_9382_zps4ebf374b.jpg

He is one month old now and growing healthy and strong. The last few weeks have been trying and tiring. Everett will likely be in the NICU until his original due date (July 22nd). Leaving him at the hospital when I was discharged was heartbreaking. It has been difficult adjusting to visiting him in the NICU and not being able to hold and cuddle him whenever I want. But he is healthy and eventually he will be able to come home with us.


Amelia Renee said...

Katrina, he's so precious! So thankful that he's doing well & praying for continued growth! I was born 4 weeks early at 2 pounds 12 ounces...but definitely not near as fragile as sweet little Everett! :) I hope you're enjoying motherhood & can't wait to hear that he's home in your arms:)

Vickie Simons said...

congratulations, glad you both got through everything ok & hope he can go home with you soon :)

Danica Pardini said...

Congratulations! He is completely perfect in every way. I hope he gets well soon and continues to grow stronger everyday. xo

Blog Galleries Blue Bottle Photograpy Bio Contact